Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tales from Afghanistan, Chapter 13: Don't pee on that dead guy.

Nate's blog: Jan 16
 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue. I feel like that’s not how that quote is SUPPOSED to go, but it applies. There are certain things that you would think you don’t need to explain to other people. Don’t stick your hands in that fire. Don’t jump the fence to pet the lion at the zoo. Don’t film yourself peeing on a dead guy. Leave it to the Marines to screw that up. To be fair, I’m sure stuff like that happens all the time, and lets be honest, the bad guys do waaaay worse stuff. But still, not the best way to win hearts and minds. Ahh, and it must be an election year, because the politicians are all over it, putting their spin on things to win votes. Don’t you guys have anything better to do? You know, like try to work together and for once have a functioning government?

I can’t wait for these elections to be over. I swear every 4 years it gets more and more ridiculous. Without getting into my political views, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be an embarrassing landslide victory, and the losing party has no one to blame except themselves for giving their power away to political terrorists who’s parents never taught them how to share, compromise, or work with others. Meanwhile the TV comedians are exposing our joke of an electoral system with super-PAC shenanigans. It’s sad when the “fair and balance” news reporters are the joke and the comedians are the main source of real information. I’m sure I’m missing out on the most hilarious political commercials.

So Marines are peeing on dead guys, and politicians are crapping on our country. What a wonderful world. Iran is one blocked strait away from the annihilation of their entire military structure (which would probably mean ANOTHER desert vacation for me), and Pakistan looks ready to dissolve into anarchy. Most of this hasn’t actually affected us here in any real way; it’s just another thing for us to joke about when we aren’t being shot at. This last week has been nice for me actually. Working out, running, watching my tummy shrink and my muscles grow, it’s good to be back where I used to be with my fitness level! It’s been a long time since I was happy with what I saw in the mirror, but right now I’m feeling really good about myself. And of course, reading a billion books a week and attempts at online flirting keeps my off-time interesting.

I should find out some news about my Embassy Guard goals this week, my fingers are crossed for good news! If everything works out, I will be starting the request process next week. And there’s only 11 weeks till I am home!!! I can’t wait till that countdown gets below 10. I’m already making plans for when I get home. A post-deployment tattoo (thinking Huginn and Muninn, the 2 ravens in Norse mythology that belonged to Odin), and Vegas parties! I’m going to be taking a month of vacation where I’m planning on making up for the 7 months gone. I’m expecting a crazy month haha.

So that’s all the news for now. Next week I’ll be mailing some of my stuff back home, I can almost taste the freedom! This party blows and I can’t wait to ditch it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nate". Love your blog. My cousin, Larry S. from Sacramento, told me about it and I enjoy reading what you have to say. I have a bunch of skin care samples from my employer, a dermatologist, that I would like to send to you and you "guys"". I know you will be leaving soon, so let me know if it would be ok to send. God bless you and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete